funsec mailing list archives

Re: Zapping your brain during REM = %8 more memory

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:50:47 -0500

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 06:47:42 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

abilities. I have always been told that we only use ~10% of our brains
ability

Often quoted, even though totally refuted.  It probably started about
a century ago as "we (the scientists) only have identified what 10% of the
brain does".

Think of it in evolutionary terms - neural tissue is *expensive* to grow
and maintain (for instance - part of the reason even small head wounds bleed
a lot is because there's blood vessels that run from inside your brain out
to your scalp to assist in cooling the brain.  The lack of this interchange
is part of why chimp brains aren't bigger).  If the other 90% wasn't being
used, what was the use of having it?  We should have stuck with 90% smaller
brains such as Australopithecus had. Homo habilis managed to use tools with
a 500cc brain. So there's no real need for us to carry around a 1350cc brain
is there?

(Of course, us only using 10% of our brains *would* explain the current
political mess in the US... :)

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm