funsec mailing list archives

Re: Zapping your brain during REM = %8 more memory

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:25:37 -0500

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:30:58 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:
They may have to update this because I will take the route of saying
that our brains run at 10 efficiency or that 10 percent of its
potential.

<and goes on to cite several examples that don't prove much of anything
other than (a) there's a bell curve and (b) much of the cited behavior is
actually trainable, and *has* been for most of known history (hint -
how do you think all of Homer's works were preserved?)>

Note that it's also unclear what "100% efficiency" would *mean* - if all
neurons are firing all the time, you can't distinguish as many distinct neural
states. Also, most of the time, not much is going on, and you really *don't*
need to be using 100% of the capacity.  But sometimes you need a *lot* of
capacity *right now* (for instance, I'm sure that Saturday when I startled
a bobcat in his lair when only 2 foot or so from the opening, I went through
a *lot* of neurons comparing the snarl to every sound I ever heard, and coming
up with a good response...)

Consider it the cognitive equivalent of trying to pass at Talledega with a big
honking restrictor plate....

Also, firing the neurons more often means you burn more glucose, which means
both more cooling issues, and the need to eat more.

This is why, even though its listed on snopes.com as being untrue,
that I will still continue to quote that fallacy.

Ya know, Dude, if you *used* the other 90% of the neurons, you could do
amazing stuff.... like change your mind when confronted by evidence. :)