funsec mailing list archives

Dref-N email worm promises breaking news

From: "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 05:35:41 -0600

If you're a quick headline junky like I am then watch out (not sure if this
was posted or not. Comes from vnunet).

With the promise of juicy stories such as the outbreak of nuclear war or the
death of George W Bush and Vladimir Putin, it's certainly a tempting
offering. Although we'd like to hope that when nuclear war does break out,
an email isn't the first we hear of it.

The Dref-N worm arrives attached to emails with subject lines such as 'White
house news', 'Incredible news' or 'attn to everybody', and tries to dupe
recipients by claiming that the attachment contains details of a major
global news story.

Opening the attached file disables the Windows firewall and allows hackers
to gain access to the PC in order to spy on or steal data.

The advice from the experts is simple: use your head and have a think before
opening random attachments.

Graham Cluley at security firm Sophos was amazed that, despite how
implausible the news sounds, a large number of users still allow their
temptation to get the better of them and click on the infected file.

His recommendation is simple: "If you suspect a breaking news story, turn on
the TV or visit your favourite news website to see if it has any basis in
truth."

We recommend going to vnunet.com first, obviously.