funsec mailing list archives

RE: Spybot v. Symantec

From: Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 23:42:22 -0400

Based on the screen shot it looks like they are not blocking
installation, just recommending that you remove the products. There is a
Next button there; is someone saying that you can't just ignore the
recommendation and proceed?

The real issue here is the on-access scanners (and there's probably an
IPS component at issue too), right? At install time is there a practical
way for these products to determine that these live components are
running as opposed to just a static scanner?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/larry%5Fseltzer/