funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spybot v. Symantec

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:49:24 +1300

Richard M. Smith wrote:

When I declined the uninstall recommendation, I was able to continue
installing Norton Internet Security 2007, during which process Spybot
detected multiple changes to the Registry and asked to me allow or reject
each one of them.

Perhaps you missed the name of this list -- it's _fun_sec, not
_sad_sec.

There's nothing fun, or funny, about this kind of ongoing stupidity
which results from moronic adherance to now grossly unsatisifactory
blacklisting style "technologies" on the part of _both_ developers.

It's sad that the developers of such products think it is still
acceptable to produce such stupid software (and note, this observation
is _not_ specifically directed at the developers of either or products
mentioned in this article).

And it's sad that the users of the software remain as ignorant of "how
things work" and "what makes sense" that they keep using such schlock.

And it's even sadder (though not at all surprising) that this user
ignorance is significantly responsible for the continuance of both of
the above effects because it props up the business model underlying the
whole mess...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald