funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security Flaw in Microchips Discovered?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:34:29 -0500

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:50:38 GMT, Fergie said:

Researchers have discovered a fundamental flaw in microprocessor technology
that could allow hackers to obtain computer users' secret information,
French daily Le Monde reported.

This is probably right up there with the "cache timing attack" against HT
chips to steal an RSA key.  I wonder if their technique works while the
system is taking timer and I/O interrupts to fill up slots in the branch
prediction table....