funsec mailing list archives

FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:55:25 -0600

  _____

From: kdawson
Posted At: Sunday, December 03, 2006 4:53 PM
Posted To: Technology
Conversation: Slashdot
Subject: Windows Live and Privacy

An anonymous reader writes "Today as we were biking around our neighborhood
in a small city we saw a strange vehicle slowly driving around. It appeared
to be an SUV, bristling with cameras mounted on the roof, and pointing just
about every possible direction. The first time we saw it, all we could see
was that it had a sign on the side, something about Windows. The second time
we saw it, we stared at it so hard that the driver stopped and we had a
chance to ask him what it was all about. He said he was driving around,
filming streets, and that there were people doing this all over the world,
and getting data from the air too. It was going to be available on the Web.
I asked him if this was Microsoft's answer to Google Earth, and he indicated
that it was. There seems to be very little about this on the Web, and I
found no mention of Microsoft's collection of this sort of detailed street
level data. The Windows site appears to be http://preview.local.live.com/,
although since I use a Mac it didn't work properly. I'm not sure I want my
neighborhood viewable on the Web from ground level. And are they going to
edit all the people out? I don't see how they could."

 <http://rss.slashdot.org/~a/Slashdot/slashdot?a=dhy1G8>

Read  <http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/56878492/article.pl>
more