funsec mailing list archives

[IP] AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:33:44 -0800 (PST)

Is this possible?  Perish the thought!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [IP] AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:16:07 -0500
To: ip () v2 listbox com

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: December 28, 2006 3:38:33 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?

[Note:  If true, this is huge news.  Check out the article link for the
latest news on this item as folk try to validate the software.  DLH]

AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?

Posted Dec 27th 2006 6:25PM by Ryan Block
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/>

Can it be? Is Hollywood's new DRM posterchild AACS (Advanced Access
Content System, see more here) actually quite breakable?

According to a post on our favoritest of forums (Doom9) by DRM hacker
du jour muslix64, his new BackupHDDVD tool decrypts and dismantles AACS
on a Windows PC. Just feed the small utility a crypto key (it comes
bundled with keys for a few popular HD DVD titles, with the promise of
more on the way), and it'll dump the video right off the disc onto your
hard drive, supposedly playable in any HD DVD compatible player.

If true, this would instantly become the DeCSS of high def optical
(where you at, Jon?), as AACS is the copy protection scheme used not
only by HD DVD, but by Blu-ray as well. Code and source posted in read
link, let us know what you find!

[snip]

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin