funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Vitriol' Rootkit to Demo at MS BlueHat Hacker Summit

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:42:41 -0400

On 10/17/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Microsoft's twice-yearly BlueHat hacker summit, running Oct. 26-27,
will kick off later this week with a demo of a virtual machine rootkit
that can potentially be used to defeat the controversial PatchGuard
technology.

Dino Dai Zovi, a principal at penetration-testing outfit Matasano
Security, has been invited to Microsoft's Redmond, Wash., campus to
showcase a hardware VM-based rootkit called Vitriol that piggybacks on
Intel's VT-x virtualization extension.

Hmm, the last one we saw used AMD's virtualization technology and the
fact that MS was paging kernel memory. There are a few more methods to
go through it seems :-)

In the last thread about this we learned that turning off the VM
capabilities on a machine will  disable this payload. If it holds true
for this one as well then it would seem this VM technology should only
be enabled on machines that need it, while the rest of people should
disable this feature, if it isnt disabled already (its turned off by
default in Optiplexs' BIOS, not sure about other brands).

For those that run VM in the classroom, we might need to consider
discontinuing that practice for high security areas, and rebooting the
box once a day for others ;-)

-JP