funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Vitriol' Rootkit to Demo at MS BlueHat Hacker Summit

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:39:14 -0400

On 10/18/06, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
Dude VanWinkle wrote:
> Are all hypervisors considered to be Operating Systems? Are the
> creators writing their own kernel and such?

You'd probably have to pick a definition of "operating system" to say
for sure, but I think in general, the answer is no.  At least, not by
any modern expectations of what needs to be in a useful operating
system.  At minimum, a hypervisor can be a simple scheduler and some
hardware drivers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

damn, I should have checked there :*)

-jp