funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] We are the watchers. We help you

From: Gordon Darling <gordondarling () dsl pipex com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:01:19 +0000

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2410540,00.html

<snip>
"We are the watchers. We help you
Guy Herbert
Is Britain safer with CCTV everywhere? No one knows. But it is certainly
more fearful

YOU DON’T KNOW ME. But I know you. Oh yes. You don’t mind me following
you, do you? All I want to do is look after you.

When you come out of your house first thing, I’m watching. And I’m with
you every step of the way — to the shops, to work, wherever you go. I’m
there on the bus just behind you. I recognise your car, too. I know
where you bought it. And I’ve a list with every trip you take and which
way you went. I take notes, lots of notes.

I’m keeping an eye on your children, too, by the way. I know where they
go to school, what subjects they take, what their teachers and doctors
say about them (and you), where they go and what they do. I know whether
they’ve ever been in trouble. That’s always useful.

I haven’t been in your house yet, but I can sometimes see through the
window. I know how you bought it and where the money came from. I know
your bank account numbers and sort codes, your credit cards and your
driving licence numbers. I know who you call (but not what you say), who
you e-mail, what you look at on the internet. I care about you so much I
want to know everything about you. And I want you to be safe.

FEEL like calling the police? What if he is the police? Britain is, by a
large margin, the most watched society in the Western world, and getting
more so. There are certainly many more cameras watching us than
elsewhere. No one knows how many. It is said there are more cameras in
London than in the entire United States. It sounds plausible — American
visitors are startled by the level of surveillance — but figures are
hard to come by. The Association of Chief Police Officers announced last
Christmas that Britain will be the first country in the world where
every car journey is monitored using automated number plate recognition
<snip>
more at above link

Guy Herbert is general secretary of NO2ID. He will be speaking at the
Battle of Ideas, organised by the Institute of Ideas with The Times, on
October 28-29 (0207-269 9220). www.battleofideas.co.uk

Regards
Gordon