funsec mailing list archives

Command line patch checker available?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:16:56 -0400

I remember at one time that the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer was a command line only executable and didn't
require anything to be installed on the machine.  It does not appear that this is the case any longer.

  Although it's still based off of HFNETCHK, it has to be installed, but then can be run via command line.  I'd like to
find a patch checker that is command line runnable and doesn't have to be installed.  I don't mind downloading an XML
file listing of current patches, as long as I can do that beforehand.

  I basically want to stick this on a USB drive and run it on a machine without installing anything on the machine it
get run on.

  Any thoughts?
    Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580