funsec mailing list archives

Blog Questions

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:10:07 -0400

Greet'ins fellow Funsec'ers,

I recently signed up for my first blog, and as you all may have
guessed its posts are lengthy, opinionated, and meandering.

I was talking to Ryan about setting up an RSS feed, and while I dont
know whether it will be XML or HTML, I do know that I would like a way
to let my subscribers know that the items they receive are 1) from me
and 2) secure. I know there are many bloggers on this list so I
thought I would try and pick your brains on blog server side initiated
security.

1: Is there any way to put a cert on the feed and sign all posts
published to the readers? It would be cool if I could push out the
public key when people first subscribed and then encrypt the content
when posting; having the RSS Client decrypt and verify the source with
one swail foop.

2:Is there any way to send plain text rss feeds? This would lessen the
attack vectors to subscribers just in case I got drunk and decided it
would be funny to push out a thunderbird or outlook express exploit on
the post.

Anyways, I am in the middle of Ms Dewey'ing for answers but i thought
this also might make an interesting thread, so dammit, I am hitting
the send button and there is nothing any of you punks can do to stop
me!!

-JP<who is feeling a little too empowered by his blog>