funsec mailing list archives

Re: SecurityFocus: Botnets Likely Behind Jump in Spam

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:07:20 -0400

On 10/27/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:45:19 EDT, Kevin McAleavey said:
>  Free codecs and cracks seem to be the major source.

"Free codecs", as in "Install this free codec so you can watch <insert
name here> naked"?  And of course it never seems to work, but the luser
isn't suspicious because they're *used* to crap not working...

That the one?

I hope its not free-codecs.com, I user their real alternative and
quicktime alternative codecs all the time. I dont think it could be
them, I had a friend reverse them and find out that thjey just strip
out the codecs from realplayer and QT and then associate them with the
player of your choice.

Anyways, I agree with the statistics being flawed. Sunbelt went from
iHateSpam (a horrible product) to ninja (a much better one). iHateSpam
only had keyword filtering and blacklisting, where ninja follows the
standard "throw everything we got at 'em".

the increase in Sunbelts statistics could be from that switch alone

-JP