funsec mailing list archives

Re: VNUnet: Million-PC botnet threatens consumers

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 03:15:18 -0600 (CST)

hehehehehehhehehe

ROTFL

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Fergie wrote:

Hey, I'm just the messenger...

[snip]

Cyber criminals are assembling the biggest botnet for over two years –
already close to a million PCs – online security experts have told
vnunet.com.

No one knows yet exactly what nefarious activity the army of captive
PCs will be used for. But the chances are it will be a massive
onslaught of phishing aimed at defrauding web consumers in the run up
to Christmas.

Botnets are distributed networks of zombie computers, usually
broadband-connected home PCs, recruited into criminal service,
unbeknown to their owners, by infection with a Trojan virus.

Once assembled, a botnet is hired out, for example, to launch a
phishing attack of email messages to online banking customers intended
to dupe them into revealing their security details.

[snip]

More:
http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2167474/million-pc-botnet-threatens

- ferg

p.s. Confidence level: I won't even quote this on my blog.

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net