funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Post On DuPage County Election Website

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:15:42 -0500

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:42:19 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

Those arent the smartest offiocials I have heard of.

Gee, is hacking into government website amd defacing it breaking any laws?

Not knowing the entire details (like the exact jurisdiction, etc), I'll
point out that it's *not* that obvious sometimes.  For starters, the first
statute that comes to mind is the federal 18 USC 1030 (a.k.a. the Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986):

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001030----000-.html

Now go and read 18 USC 1030(a) and tell me which one was violated (hint -
it wasn't a federal computer, so some sections don't apply.  If the damages
were under $5,000, others don't apply.  And if it isn't used in interstate
commerce, other sections don't matter.  Are any left?)

It's quite likely that any state ordinances have similar issues, making
it *not* a slam dunk.