funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Post On DuPage County Election Website

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:04:17 -0500

On 10/29/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:04:35 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:
> I understand that finding the most applicable law may be an ordeal
> from the computer intrusion perspective. I was thinking more along the
> lines of defrauding the voters-type legislation.

If "defrauding the voters" was an actual crime, I'd rather see them chase
Diebold than this guy.  Also, the prosecution may have to show that some voters
were actually impacted by this and didn't get to vote, or similar - the fact
it's a county election website doesn't mean it actually matters for next
week's elections.

> Still, I wish they had said "Officials are trying to figure out WHICH
> laws have been broken", because not only was one law obviously broken,
> but multiple laws have obviously been broken.

Given that 'WHICH' could very well be the empty set, "figuring out if ANY
laws were broken" is more correct.  As I pointed out previously, it's
not at all "obvious".  If you're convinced it's "obvious", it should be a
no-brainer to cite the relevant statutes and explain why they apply, right? :)

Homie dont play that. I am speaking from the point of "I know many
people who have been sentenced to jail for less"

I have one friend who was convicted of hacking a former employer from
home based on logs with non-routable IP's in them.

I didnt mean any insult when I said no-brainer, sorry for the poor
choice of words buddy

-JP