funsec mailing list archives

Re: Botnet Herders Face Jailtime

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:25:32 +1300

Julio Canto wrote:

1.5 million computer BotNet? That's a big fat one. As far as I remember
, in the begining of 2006 I read something about the mean stimated size
were of about 40.000. One million and a half sounds like a too big
monster to 'produce' only 60.000 euros in 6 months.

As Valdis said, maybe the 60,000 Euros is just what the prosecutors are
confident they can prove?

Also, as for 1.5 million bots -- maybe that's a count of unique IPs
seen on the known C&C's and thus may _seriously_ overestimate the
actual number?  Maybe it includes 30-70% of compromised machines being
on slow (capped DSL, ISDN, dial-up, etc) connections that the herders
weren't using for any tasks where they preferred higher bandwidth?
Maybe these herders were good at collecting bots and not so good at on-
selling services using them, so they had an awful lot of bots "idling"
until they actually found a use for them?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald