funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] 26 IRS Tapes Missing in Kansas City

From: Shyaam <shyaam () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:06:57 -0500

Why is this going for long time? As in, what is "Privacy" for future
generations if every such records are lost everywhere. I guess, that the
companies and "GOVERNMENT" should think of investing money on protecting
DATA from LOOSING it rather than on FORENSICS that is helpful only if the
evidence is in hand. Well, the simple logic is that "No Evidence, no use of
forensics". So best is to avoid people storing CONFIDENTIAL data on portable
devices no matter what their security clearance level is. The other best
thing is to use always track data that goes in and out of the network. The
next is to not let people whom you dont know into the building
itself(perimeter) and to restrict people from moving from one department
floor to the other or something of that sort(perimeter protection). Cant
these be simple for people to take action on ?

Shyaam

On 1/20/07, RMueller <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:21:30 -0600
> From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
> Subject: Re: [privacy] 26 IRS Tapes Missing in Kansas City
> To: Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net>
> Cc: privacy () whitestar linuxbox org
>
> On 1/19/07, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
> >
> > Via The Kansas City Star (props, Pogo Was Right).
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Twenty-six IRS computer tapes containing taxpayer information are
missing
> > after they were delivered to City Hall months ago.
>
> Great, now they'll never get around to fixing these pot holes...and
> they've already stiffed me on the trash bags!

Our tax dollars hard at work.

RM

--
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Shyaam Sundhar R.S., GREM, GHTQ, GWAS