funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] 26 IRS Tapes Missing in Kansas City

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:46:54 -0600

On 1/23/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

I think you need to get out more - I've never worked for a company,
even a firehouse, who's employees expect crappy service. Perhaps its
because most of them depended on their machines to conduct business,
but regardless, what kind of worthless IT group does one need to have
for 90% uptime to be viewed as good by the users? I've never seen it.

I didn't say 90% uptime. I said "mostly kinda sorta works 90%" - that includes
the 10% of the time the box is *up*, but you're fighting with it because
of some misfeature or broken config that means that when you receive file A,
you have to jump through hoops B, C, and D before it will actually open
in program E.

You said it sorta kinda works 90% - which means it kinda sorta works
90% of the time, and 10% of the time it has to be assumed to not work.
Now you've described it further and it STILL sounds like downtime,
caused by bad processes and/or a lack of knowledge.

The company I currently work for handles very large data files in
several formats. All of them have to be formatted in a particular way
for a couple of different processes. That's not a problem with the
process, it is the process. Its automated so no one spends time
forcing square blocks through a round hole.