funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] RFID keyless ignition is now standard in the 2007 NissanAltima

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:25:04 -0800 (PST)

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:16:04 -0500
From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>

My question:  Can a unique ID number be read on the sly from a Nissan
key fob by someone who has the right kind of reader unit?

Are you sure it's a simple unique code and not some sort of challenge
response?

The Mini is queried by billboards that display a changing sign
customized to the NAME of the driver (or at least, the name of the
person purchasing the vehicle).

So why wouldn't these things be able to be "distance" read?

Regards,
GRegory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin