funsec mailing list archives

Re: Computer error rocks Alaska's fund

From: John Forrister <john () segfault com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:25:22 -0700

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:10:50AM -0400, Richard M. Smith wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070320/ap_on_hi_te/lost_data_3

There was still hope, until the department discovered its third line of
defense, backup tapes, were unreadable.

Now repeat after me:  "You haven't completed a backup until you've complete
a test restore".

This is a whole bundle of WTF's.

They were able to go back to the paper archives and recreate the data by
hand.  This time.

This case serves as a perfect example as to why paper records should be
mandatory for certain functions (I'm thinking about voting specifically,
but other areas certainly apply).

-John

--
John Forrister