funsec mailing list archives

Re: Computer error rocks Alaska's fund

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:23:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Richard M. Smith wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070320/ap_on_hi_te/lost_data_3

JUNEAU, Alaska - Perhaps you know that sinking feeling when a single
keystroke accidentally destroys hours of work. Now imagine wiping out a disc
drive containing an account worth $38 billion.

That's what happened to a computer technician reformatting a disk drive at
the Alaska Department of Revenue. While doing routine maintenance work, the
technician accidentally deleted applicant information for an oil-funded
account - one of Alaska residents' biggest perks - and mistakenly
reformatted the backup drive, as well.

There was still hope, until the department discovered its third line of
defense, backup tapes, were unreadable.

And what happened when they went to a competent data recovery company?
Any of the three disasters above is possibly recoverable. I know that I
used to handle all those types of problem, with a pretty good success
rate.