funsec mailing list archives

Re: I think that more of my state tax dollars need to go to security

From: "Don Blumenthal" <dmblumenthal () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:16:29 -0400

On 3/28/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:22:14 EDT, Don Blumenthal said:
> Virus wreaks havoc on state's computers
> Detroit Free Press

OK. You want more state tax dollars to go to security.  Now, which choice
would you prefer?

A) Name a state agency or service who's budget you will cut, and be prepared to
live without that service at current levels.  You take it from higher ed, you
have to accept the tuition hike that will follow.  You take it from transportation,
you have to live with more potholes and dangerously degraded bridges.

B) Accept a tax hike to cover the cost.

Now for the tricky part - convince enough *other* voters of your state
that a legislator can launch a bill to make it happen without committing
political suicide.

I was being semi-facetious with the subject line and, being new to MI,
don't know the state government setup that well. It wouldn't take much
to explore any necessary reprogramming of the IT budget. I would worry
about whether more money is required after that's done, and then
compare to what it cost to have the offices out of commission for a
few days.

--
Don M. Blumenthal
Technology, Law, and Policy