funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Lawyers 1, techies 0

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:52:55 -0400

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9727965-7.html

June 11, 2007 1:53 AM PDT
MPAA accuses TorrentSpy of concealing evidence
Posted by Greg Sandoval

The movie studios may have discovered a new and powerful weapon in its war
on copyright infringement.

The courts have for the first time found that the electronic trail briefly
left in a computer server's Random Access Memory (RAM) by each visitor to a
site is "stored information," and must be turned over as evidence during
litigation, according to documents obtained by CNET News.com.

Jacqueline Chooljian, a judge in the Central District of California in Los
Angeles, issued the decision while presiding over a court fight between the
studios and TorrentSpy, the BitTorrent search engine accused of copyright
infringement in a lawsuit filed last year by the film industry. On May 29,
Chooljian ordered TorrentSpy to begin logging user activity, including IP
addresses, and turn the data over to the Motion Picture Assoc. of America
(MPAA).

http://www.torrentspy.com/

Hello Friends of TorrentSpy

We have spent the last year challenging their relentless campaign against
the 1st Amendment and personal privacy laws Worldwide. We have succeeded in
delaying the court order to turn on logs while we appeal it. TorrentSpy will
not create logs of what you do on the site without your consent.

While we use Google Analytics for website statistics, TorrentSpy servers
have never tracked your IP Address, the searches you make, or how you use
the site. We are dedicated to your privacy and we are fighting for your
rights!