funsec mailing list archives

Re: Strat tower (was: U.S. general laments Google Earth capability)

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:01:45 -0500

On 6/25/07, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

Young, Keith wrote:

> Live has it:
>
> http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=36.147429~-115.154451&style=h&;
> lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5080296&encType=1

Wouldn't load for me -- perhaps Live doesn't like Firefox?

No, surely not...

> (It just seems to be a "bug" in how that area was sampled with the tower
> overlapping Las Vegas Blvd. If you look at the Google image, you can see
> the screen tearing).

Yep -- the tower is definitely there in other Google views.  Aside from
its obvious shadow in the overhead shot Brian (??) posted, you see
clear evidence of its existence (and hence presumably, not its
deliberate censorship) in this Street View -- once loaded, you have to
rotate the view to the opposite side of the street (URL will wrap,
sorry):

From the different sun angles as well as the obvious views of different
walls on nearby buildings, it looks like the tower may have been the victim
of poor merging of imagery shot on different dates and significantly
different perspectives. Technology can only do so much to warp imagery into
shape for mosaicing. If the original images were taken from different
angles, things in the Z direction will look odd.

I doubt the tower was intentionally cut out.