funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Gonzales Pushes Again for Increased ISP Data Retention

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:37:03 -0500

On 6/27/07, Matthew Murphy <mattmurphy () kc rr com> wrote:
Even if what you say is true (and it probably is) that doesn't
undermine the *facts* of the case.  Witness the Republican attack on
the Clinton administration, and you'll realize that the Democrats are
doing essentially the same thing with their majority.  I for one, am
glad oversight cmtes. are finally getting nasty -- split control is
the most efficient, transparent government we've ever devised, even
though, yes, it still sucks at both of those things generally.

Its distracting. Where as I prefer a government in total gridlock,
some of the pieces/parts have to be working to keep us safe.

But I digress...

Perino's statement, in particular, is pretty damning.  If the e-mails
were part of the investigation of a major crime (rather than an
at-worst-potentially-improper round of federal firings) this would be
a controversy on par with the eighteen-and-a-half missing minutes of
the Nixon tapes.

Oy, who cares about the firings? Really? They serve at the Presidents
behest - another red herring. But, regardless, where in Perino's
statement does she say that official white house business was
conducted via RNC e-mails?

Doesn't matter, its of little import to the business of the government
- at best, you might nail Rove as being a political asshole...do you
need the e-mails to prove that? In my mind it could have easily been a
mistake (which would be similar to my current employer's mistake which
has them in a little bit of trouble with the EPA) and it could have
been criminal, we'll likely never know and most people will never
care...rightfully so. In other words, my point is that it started off
as a political witch hunt and it will end as a failed political witch
hunt - unless you believe having a bad memory is cause for a 2 year
prison term....