funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Gonzales Pushes Again for Increased ISP Data Retention

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:42:17 -0500

On 6/27/07, Dave Dittrich <dittrich () u washington edu> wrote:
Brian Loe wrote:
The practice is a violation of federal law (specifically the
Presidential Records Act) anatord therefore well within the purview of
their oversight.

And oversight committees are nothing more than political attack dogs -
used to chase red herrings and make headlines. They're always BS...

Brian, you asked what authority Congress had to get into this,
and its clear they have authority.

IF the e-mails contained information pertaining to White House work.
That has not been proven.

You asked what's the big
deal about White House or RNC email accounts, and its clear
its a legal requirement for all executive branch communications
to be handled in a legal manner.

The RNC is still under no obligation to save their e-mails, so far as
I can tell, outside of this particular investigation. Neither is the
Democratic party required to save their e-mails.

Now you attack all oversight
committees.

I'm attacking a political entity and you take exception...okay, my
bad. But can you name an oversight committee that ever accomplished
anything? Most would mention, I suppose, Watergate...but that
committee had their case handed to them by "deepthroat" and a couple
of journalists.

 Reminds me of a saying:

"If the law is against you, argue the facts.
 If the facts are against you, argue the law.
 If the law AND the facts are against you,
 attack your opponent."

I don't agree with that reasoning in the least - though I've heard it
hundreds of times.

Do I see another round of ad-hominem attacks coming, or can this
thread die now? :)

The thread can die whenever the participants wish it to. As for
ad-hominem attacks, I suggest you look elsewhere for them, I'm only a
recipient...