funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bad (Insecure) Business Decisons [Was: Re: IPv6, C&C (not bot nets, coffe and cats)]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:17:13 -0400

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:22:06 -0000, Dave Paris said:
It's not the meter reading portion of the links that scare me as much as
remote access to substations, grid interconnect points, etc.  I've seen
systems as Ferg describes below and utterly simplistic dial-in,
unauthenticated systems... no dialback, zippo.  Utterly insane.

But.. but... *nobody* could possibly guess the phone number, or know what
arcane commands are needed.  And what hacker would possibly be interested
in a system so backward it still needed a dial-up modem to get into? Come
on, get with the program, the movie "War Games" is *so* 1983.....