funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: funsec Office 2007 has 0 security issues

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:00:04 +0100

Many are, (obviously) flagging Word 2007 docs as compressed files but
treating them AV policy-wise as normal zips lacking flexibility in
selective scanning of the files IN a compressed file. I'm curious if
Trend Micro, Symantec, McAfee etc has addressed this yet.

The last time I had to look at this issue, some major vendors already had
some capacity for selective scanning/blocking within .ZIPs etc. Not the
product that was wished on me at the time, unfortunately. My only option was
to block or not block them, irrespective of what they contained and whether
they were encrypted. A combination of stone-age filtering, clueless service
providers, and confused upper-echelon managers.

Blocking isn't an option for large enterprises that rely on Word
and other Office docs for functionality.

Indeed. I'm getting a nasty case of deja vue here, not to mention a familiar
buzzing in the bonnet. The real issue is that "normal" email isn't a
safe/suitable medium for file transfer: but that war was lost years ago...

--
David Harley BA CISSP
AVIEN Guide to Malware: