funsec mailing list archives

Re: couldn't resist sharing

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:43:18 -0500

On 4/16/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Brian Loe wrote:
> I don't think the UK should have attacked the Iranians - and most
> others don't either. However, I do believe those seaman and marines
> should have defended themselves.

They were in an inflatable boat. Have you ever sat in an inflatable boat
with a bunch of people pointing guns at your boat? Would you start a
shooting war at that point? It wouldn't last long.

It might be the confusing reports about how it all went down, but as I
understood it, there was a Brittish battleship that those guys were
based on nearby. The Iranians weren't in large boats themselves and I
doubt they wanted to tangle with the battleship (nevermind the two
carrier battle groups also in the area).

It was very staged by the Iranians, the whole thing, and I'm not sure
that I wouldn't have done the exact same thing - haven't been there.
But, as with many of the commentators, I would rather hear the
Marine/Navy leader say that his first thought was, "we're at a
tactical disadvantage" rather than, "I want to make it home."

> I have no doubt in the UK's soldiers
> being able to handle themselves, if they try.

Sometimes when you're ambushed in a hopeless situation, you just have to
accept defeat.

Sometimes, I'm not sure this was one of those times though...my guess
it had more to do with the fact that they weren't supposed to be in a
battle area and the rules of engagement they were given.