funsec mailing list archives

Re: Biometric "gated communities" in Baghdad

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:33:02 -0400

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:29:36 -0800, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" said:
Aside from the use of biometrics, interesting use of terminology.  Are these
actually "gated communities" (to protect "our kind") or "ghettos" (to keep the
nasty people locked away from us)?

Topologically, they're equivalent.

In both cases, it partitions the area into 2 distinct regions, with "us" in one
region, "them" in the other.  Interestingly enough, "they" see the situation
identically, except the values of "us" and "them" are swapped...

Interestingly enough, it doesn't matter whether the constructors are thinking of
it as "keep us safe on our side" or "keep them contained on their side" - the
fact it's being built means "they" would prefer to be on "our" side of the
partition.