funsec mailing list archives

Bright lights, big software glitch

From: Kurt Grutzmacher <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:39:22 -0500

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/17/BAG4MPSKM41.DTL

Motorists leaving the Bay Bridge going to the East Bay at night recently
may have been reminded of the '70s tune "Blinded by the Light."

Greeting them -- just as they headed for an already confounding (and
disabled) freeway interchange -- has been the bright glare of a 50-foot
illuminated billboard gone haywire on the south side of eastbound
Interstate 80.

The sign company, CBS Outdoor, blames the problem on a glitch in the
sign's light-dimmer and promises to have it fixed. Responding to a
cascade of complaints, Caltrans told the billboard company Wednesday the
sign should be turned off until it is repaired, Caltrans officials said.

First we melt a bridge and then we blind the motorists going towards it.
Hooray!

--
                 ..:[ grutz at jingojango dot net ]:..
     GPG fingerprint: 5FD6 A27D 63DB 3319 140F  B3FB EC95 2A03 8CB3 ECB4