funsec mailing list archives

Re: there aren't that many serious spammers any more?

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:14:31 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon Apr  9 07:33:40 2007, John LaCour wrote:

Richard Clayton posts on the Univ of Cambridge Blog about his analysis
of Demon Internet spam traffic vs. non-spam traffic and concludes that
most spam comes from a few gangs.

Interesting article here:
http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2007/04/03/there-arent-that-many-serious-spammers-any-more/

That's exactly what I'm seeing, too.
There may be more spam today, but it is being sent by far fewer spam
groups.  (Fewer groups, but they are more active.)

What they didn't point out: most of the emails are directed.
If you capture their mailing lists, you will see that they are clustered
in groups.  They may focus on domains or services, but spam is usually
targeted today.  My honeypot in the US receives very little non-English
spam, and my account in Asia gets lots of asian spam.

The large bursts that they are measuring are probably due to directed
mailing lists.  (Many groups cycle mailing lists and don't use the same
list every day.)

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.