funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:40:05 -0500

On 8/31/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

And screw the other 2... no thanks, it could be me or mine.

If you can't see that a reduction of murders from 4 million to 2 million
is a Good Thing, then you're in a very small minority.

If you think that 2 million dead is a good thing then I HOPE you're in
the minority.

Final analogy I will use on this and then, since its dwindling anyway,
I'll let the thread die:

There are three kinds of people in this world: sheep, wolves and
sheepdogs. The vast majority of the people are sheep - and that would
include virtually everyone on this list (that posts regularly anyway).
Nothing bad about being a sheep, it simply means your a gentle,
productive human being, incapable of hurting your fellow man. Problem
is, there are wolves out there. Not a lot, a very small minority in
fact. But they are out there and they show no compunction whatsoever
with harming their fellow man, for whatever motive, or no motive at
all. They'll kill you for a dollar or just to watch you bleed. For
this reason you must have sheepdogs. I'm a sheepdog. I have the
ability to commit violence but I also care for my fellow man. There
are several more sheepdogs on this list who rarely chime in on these
discussions, on the list, but they're out there. We're here to keep
you safe, when we can, and we're a lot more effective at it than any
policeman anywhere in the world.

On this little list we're virtually all sheepdogs to some degree, but
in the infosec arena. The end users are the sheep, the hackers the
wolves and then us in the middle, watching the herd. This is why I am
still amazed by the number of people on this list who are sheep when
it comes to life and death. But, I'm slowly finding out that the list
is a lot larger than the vocal few have lead me to believe, and I'm
not even sure that a majority of subscribers aren't gun owners at this
point. :)