funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:37:04 +0100 (BST)

Cutting down the nettles would have done no good, I fully agree.  The
cause was not the nettles at all.  The cause then, would have been you
standing on the rickety log, with the effect of you falling in a bed of
nettles.

So, following the idea of Western medicine, cutting down the nettles
would have been the perfect answer.

On the other hand, following the idea of handling the CAUSE would mean
either making sure you don't climb on rickety logs

How do I make sure of that? I don't know a way, unless you suggest that I
avoid getting onto logs altogether.

, or if you do, making
sure you have enough sense of balance to handle it without falling.

How do I measure my sense of balance, and compare it with the balance
required for a particular log?

No - the answer was nettle cream, which treated the symptom, which wsa
exactly what I wanted.

Similarly, handling the CAUSE of gun crimes would not mean banning guns.
  Big deal, so the criminals make their own own, steal them, use swords
or knives or baseball bats.

Rather, it would be handling why they are being criminal in the first
place.  THAT would be handling the cause of gun crime.

That's a bit like suggesting that I make sure that I don't climb onto
rickety logs. I don't know how to do that. And I don't know how to handle
why people become criminals.

So, given that I can't stop people from becoming criminals, I rather like
the idea of making it substantially more difficult for them to murder.
Sure, if you could magically disappear all guns, people would still hit
each other with bricks. But it's a lot harder to murder with a brick, than
with a gun.