funsec mailing list archives

RE: What kind of Pentagon computers were hacked by the Chinese military?

From: "Joel R. Helgeson" <joel () helgeson com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 05:11:42 -0500

I hate crap like this... that people

1) Assume it was the military

2) It was done by the Chinese at all

China just had a few million people get online. You can bet that the vast
portion are running pirated windows software, are not getting updates, and
are therefore prime targets for hijacking and setting up of remote proxy.  I
see Chinese proxy's for sale in IRC all the time, and it's the Russians and
Brazilians that are selling them... not their fellow Chinamen...

Then people use this to justify further fears of China.  Give me a break.
China is FAR more dependent on us than we are of them.  If our economy
falters, they'll tank. They have enough citizens of theirs in this country
at any given time such that if the REAL Chinese military DID want to
actually hack into the Pentagon, they sure as HELL would be able to cover
their tracks back to Beijing.

The Military has been using China to justify defense budgets since the fall
of the Soviet Union. My home network gets scanned 100's of times per day, so
what. Does this mean the Chinese military has it in for me too?

I just had to add my 2 cents.

Regards,

Joel Helgeson