funsec mailing list archives

SAP admits wrongdoing in Oracle document theft case

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:52:16 -0400

Anyone know how a firewall prevents documents from being viewed?  I'm not
famaliar with such a feature.

Richard

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070703/tc_nm/sap_oracle_lawsuit_dc_5;_ylt=Auj0U
o101jxiwyKmqbUYs7EE1vAI

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Software maker SAP AG (
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/nm/tc_nm/storytext/sap_oracle_lawsuit_dc/2
3609136/SIG=10gvdj0jl/*http://SAPG.DE> SAPG.DE) admitted a subsidiary had
carried out "inappropriate downloads" of documents belonging to archrival
Oracle Corp but said on Tuesday SAP itself had not had access to that
material.

Responding to Oracle's (Nasdaq:
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/finance/nm/tc_nm/storytext/sap_oracle_laws
uit_dc/23609136/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=orcl&d=t> ORCL -
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/biz/nm/tc_nm/storytext/sap_oracle_lawsuit_
dc/23609136/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/o/orcl.html> news) charges of
intellectual property theft, SAP Chief Executive Henning Kagermann said its
TomorrowNow unit should not have made some of the downloads but that
firewalls had protected the material from SAP's view.

"Even a single inappropriate download is unacceptable from my perspective.
We regret very much that this occurred," Kagermann said, striking a more
conciliatory note in contrast to recent SAP declarations that it would
aggressively defend itself in the case.