funsec mailing list archives

Re: SAP admits wrongdoing in Oracle document theft case

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:42:14 -0400

On 7/3/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

Anyone know how a firewall prevents documents from being viewed?  I'm not
famaliar with such a feature.

Richard

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070703/tc_nm/sap_oracle_lawsuit_dc_5;_ylt=Auj0Uo101jxiwyKmqbUYs7EE1vAI

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Software maker SAP AG (SAPG.DE) admitted a subsidiary
had carried out "inappropriate downloads" of documents belonging to
archrival Oracle Corp but said on Tuesday SAP itself had not had access to
that material.
 Responding to Oracle's (Nasdaq:ORCL - news) charges of intellectual
property theft, SAP Chief Executive Henning Kagermann said its TomorrowNow
unit should not have made some of the downloads but that firewalls had
protected the material from SAP's view.

If the improperly configured firewalls were blocking their corporate
NetNanny , then the monitoring team wouldn't have noticed the
subsidiary's illegal downloading.

Still though, I doubt NetNanny would report Oracle.com downloads either way :-)

-JP