funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK bomb car tracked by highway license plate scanners

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:54:56 -0400

On 7/3/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
>>I think we should acquiesce that invasion of privacy is already here
and work towards legislation to better root out corruption in our
systems, rather than vainly try to quash the deployment of the
technollogy that makes this possible.

Now this is a constructive attitude. I personally wouldn't mind cameras
monitoring and recording every public street in my town, but I want
clear rules about how that information is used and consequences for
breaking them.

How about we make it a law that the watchers and potential criminals
can be watched by anyone? That way we have more than just the watchers
watching, and their word that it is used correctly?

If we have to acquiesce that the good guys have this technology, then
we have to admit that the bad guys will be able to tap into it as
well.

Since these two truths are self evident, it would be a case of
felonious douchebaggery to only allow the Watchers and Criminals
access to these systems. How about making the surveillance systems
available to anyone via public multicast?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

-JP<who sold off his gander long, long ago, and likes how the
implementation of this idea will be a boon to the pr0n industry>