funsec mailing list archives

RE: UK bomb car tracked by highway license plate scanners

From: Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:08:39 -0500

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 09:37 -0400, Larry Seltzer wrote:
but I want clear rules about how that information is used and
consequences for breaking them.

The trouble with that is that once the information is collected, its
there.  It then becomes only a matter of time to boil the frog.  It
would also be an absolutely huge target, given how valuable that type of
information could be in the wrong hands.  Not to mention the chilling
affect on freedom to travel and assemble (in the US anyway).

The UK cameras did nothing to prevent those explosive packed Mercedes
from being placed and detonation being attempted.  Plate scanning isn't
the only way to see where they came from.  I'd even bet that they could
(and did) use traditional methods to find those idiots.  So then what
was the value of wholesale surveillance?

Wrap all the law you want around it - there is just too much potential
downside.
--
- Andy

This is not the place to ask for a scooby snack or hand holding
without getting attacked with a flamethrower.
  - Stack Smasher, Full-disclosure email list