funsec mailing list archives

Re: Shocker: DKIM antispam standard can't stop spam

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:06:10 +1200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

It *would* be, if a fraction of the spam we got had vt.edu source addresses.
But *we* don't filter out very much spam by listing what places can send with
vt.edu addresses.  *OTHER* places can filter any spam that shows up with
a 'From: vt.edu' on it.  But publishing vt.edu doesn't do *squat* for our
filtering spam that has some *OTHER* domain in the From: - we only get *that*
benefit if the purported source domain publishes *their* info.

To run it by once more - we publish, gmail gets the benefit. Gmail publishes,
*we* get the benefit. Nobody gets the benefit *themselves* by publishing.

Correct (not that that's surprising from Valdis).

The important bit you omitted though, is that by the time a reasonable
chunk of the big Internet/Email service providers are publishing such
information, the "benefit" you allude to will be almost exactly zero.

Early adopters DO see a benefit (along with nasty FP rate spikes if
trying to use this for filtering/classifying incoming Email) BUT that
will be quickly eroded once/if adoption rates start to affect the
spammers' bottom lines.  That is because this "technology" is so
moronically simple-minded that it can be completely side-stepped with a
few dozen lines of extra code on the part of today's spam-bot writers.

Anyone pushing such "anti-spam" (or "stepping stone to effective
reputation services") measures is either grievously ignorant of how
today's spam works in-the-large, or making a tidy living off shilling
second-rate anti-spam "solutions" (or both, of course).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald