funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] FW: Credit scores as a mating tool

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:55:20 -0400

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard M. Smith [mailto:rms () computerbytesman com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:54 AM
To: Trey.Loughran () equifax com
Cc: Paul.Springman () equifax com; rms () computerbytesman com
Subject: Credit scores as a mating tool

Hi Trey,

I have been reading in newspapers about all the new uses of credit scores.
Credit scores are used routinely nowadays to rent an apartment
(http://tinyurl.com/34uguj), apply for a job (http://tinyurl.com/3cbq4e),
and buy car insurance (http://tinyurl.com/2sepyw).  I even had my credit
score checked out recently by Hertz when I went to rent a car.

With all of these expanded uses of credit scores, I am wondering if the
business development department of Equifax has considered approaching dating
Web sites with the idea that credit scores can be included personal
profiles?  Choosing a mate is one of the most important decisions all of us
make in out lives.  It seems to me that the responsible use of credit is a
good indicator for a suitable mate.  Dating Web sites would be the logical
companies to buy and resell credit scores to single people.

I already plan to suggest to my 22-year old daughter that she get credit
scores from a prospective mate when things get serious.  This is an easy
thing to do now at the AnnualCreditReport.com Web site.

Thank you,
Richard M. Smith