funsec mailing list archives

Re: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

Aren't there other people, people here even, that are interested in
keeping some level of whois available to the public - besides those
big scary black helicopter types that are only trying to track your
Internet doings?!

Well, there's me.  (Whether I represent the black helicopter types you
will have to determine for yourself - of course, I claim I don't, but
that proves nothing.)

The fight is more than just a bit illogical.  The interests of
intellectual property holders and other privacy opponents may be
impeded by an OPOC setup, but it's already impeded by private
registration.

Yes.  So?  I think "private registration" is about as antisocial as
doing away with registrant info; I believe "private" registrations
should never have been permitted, and now that they have been, this
should be rolled back.  (Don't want your information in whois?  Don't
register a domain!  Holding a slice of a shared public resource while
still being anonymous is trying to have it both ways, and, ultimately,
it works about as well as trying to have it both ways does in most
contexts.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca