funsec mailing list archives

RE: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:45:51 -0500

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 18:45 -0400, Larry Seltzer wrote:
And what good is it to see the whois? It doesn't speed up the recovery
process any.

I think that is the basic issue - what is the purpose of Whois
information?  What actual value does it have? Identification?  More than
half the time no one responds to the contact info anyway - privacy
shield or no.  There is no real difference in the current setup between
12348756 () privacyshieldblocker com and andy.sutton () pessimists net if no
one answers.  Is anyone really going to show up at my house with the
clue stick if I don't answer your email?

Just about the only thing IMHO that would work would be if you don't
respond to queries at the whois contact info, you lose the domain.  That
would be rather nice for other RFC recommended email boxes now that I
think about it.

All I really care about is that someone answers when I tell them about
their box being naughty.  I don't need to know their name, address, etc.
for that.  LEO with a warrant would get the non-shielded information
from the registrar regardless, so that's not much of an argument one way
or another.

I guess I don't understand why this is such a hot button, since fixing
it would be rather involved.  Is it really worth the effort?
--
- Andy

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of
tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
  - Ralph W. Sockman