funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Shocker: Bush Threatens Veto of Eavesdropping Bill

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:34:45 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:27:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: rms () computerbytesman com
To: privacy () whitestar linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [privacy] Shocker: Bush Threatens Veto of Eavesdropping Bill

Hmm, this situation reminds me a bit of this old movie:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_President's_Analyst

Bush is doing the bidding for the TPC.....

Don't you mean ".. of the TPC..."  I mean, I realize it is FOR TPC, but
still...

Regards,
Gregory hicks

Richard

Via The Washington Post (AP).

[snip]

President Bush said Wednesday that he will not sign a new eavesdropping
bill if it does not grant retroactive immunity to U.S. telecommunications
companies that helped conduct electronic surveillance without court
orders.

A proposed bill unveiled by Democrats on Tuesday does not include such a
provision. Bush, appearing on the South Lawn as that measure was taken up
in two House committees, said the measure is unacceptable for that and
other reasons.

[snip]

More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/10/AR2007101001047.html

- - ferg

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."