funsec mailing list archives

RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:05:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
Some might get it, like WebWasher, which is a gateway-only scanner.

But I thought I made that clear in the blog post that it's not
surprising that there's zero detection.

I disagree. Even if it was for a martian computer and useless, AVs will detect it for the sake of detecting it. Them not doing so is just another example of how useless the AV *itself* is unfortunately becoming--more and more.

This means one thing: Apple's day has finally come and Apple users are going to get hit hard. All those unpatched vulnerabilities from years past are going to bite them in the behind.

I can sum it up in one sentence: OS X is the new Windows 98. Investing in security ONLY as a last resort losses money, but everyone has to learn it for themselves.

Alex