funsec mailing list archives

RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:05:45 -0000

err doesn't virustotal only detect windows viruses?

Strictly speaking, VT doesn't detect anything. It just reports what certain
scanners report. (I know that sounds patronizing: bear with me...) But a
couple of those scanners should detect Mac malware. VirusBarrier isn't one
of the scanners they use, though, and I haven't yet seen anything on this on
the McAfee, Sophos or Symantec web sites. But that may only mean that those
vendors haven't been able to secure a sample through "normal" channels --
Intego are long-established, but strictly Mac and a bit out of the
mainstream.

They dont have virex listed in the scanners, but ClamAV could
be the BSD version.. I guess

I don't think ClamAV does Mac-specific malware, generally, even ClamXav
which is just the Clam engine on a Mac platform.

If you respond to this, please don't go all anti-AV on me tonight: I've been
mauled enough for one evening, and I'm just trying to help...

--
David Harley
AVIEN Interim Administrator: http://www.avien.org