funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 00:22:35 -0400

On 10/31/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
I think a critical point is that for years, Mac users have looked down
upon Windows systems as being unsafe.

This has led to a false sense of security. And that's dangerous
thinking.

When I showed this trojan in action to our art director (a Mac user, of
course), he was completely shocked.

Mac users have been in a cocoon, and now they are as vulnerable as the
rest of us to social engineering attacks, which is what this is.

More vulnerable:
1. They feel secure so will take risks we won't.
2. Apple has years of unpatched issues to cope with.

It's the Windows eco-system of Widnows 98 being repeated.

Well, actually, Win98 users didnt even have security as an option.
ACl's? wazzat? Even though this get some media, you still have to be
dumb enough (and horny enough) to install it.

When we reach the point of keeping users with admin rights from
installing badware, I am outta' a yob!

-JP<who is sitting on a killer ColecoVision stack overflow, just waiting>