funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:51:47 -0400

On 11/1/07, Dr. Neal Krawetz <hf () hackerfactor com> wrote:
I've been reading this thread and I don't understand why there is this
assumption that Mac users are lax or stoopid...

Well, lets say overconfident or cocksure. Maybe Stoolax or Loopid :-)

I have a Mac.  I also use Linux, BSD, Windows, and many other OS's.

Yes: there are very few malware instances for the Mac.
Yes: there is virtually no AV for the Mac.

Do:  ClamXav, Norton AntiVirus 10.1.2,  MacScan 2.5, Sophos Anti-Virus
4.8.13, VirusBarrier X4 10.4.4, and McAfee VirusScan 8.5 count?

However, I don't know any Mac users who are not also Windows users.

You dont know any Linux admins who use Macs as their desktop and avoid
anything MS? I bet there are more than a few on this list.

And ever Mac user I know (in and out of the security field) are much more
cautious about their systems.  They regularly update and they don't run
software that they don't know.  They have learned these lessons from
watching (and being) Windows users.
Based on the screen shots of this trojan, you must accept the download.
One screen shot even requires you to enter your admin password.

People will fall for it. If they will put their CC# and SSN into a
email ro give their account and routing numbers to Barrister John Ade,
they will fall for this.

If the trojan didn't need you to accept the download, enter a
password, or do anything at all we would call it a worm. I am
confident that with some finagling, someone with more skills than me
could distribute this trojan via a safari bug with some local
privilege escalation some such, eliminating the need for the user to
enter a password.

While Windows users (particularly Vista) would do this without a second
thought, I suspect that Mac users will be more cautious and few people
will fall for it.

There is a sucker born every minute, and since a fool and his money
are soon parted, I doubt the suckers can afford a Mac :-)

Seriously though, thinking Mac users are generally smarter than
everyone else is just wrong. We wouldn't need Mac IT support if the
users knew how to admin their stuff.

Mac viruses won't become wide-spread until they can auto-install and run
without human assistance (like Windows malware).

Windows malware does require assistance. You have to browse to a
website, view a picture, read an email, inhale, exhale, etc, etc, etc.
Given, this is not much human assistance but its pretty damn hard to
get win32 malware to auto install anymore.

Am I missing something here?  (Beyond the Apple bashing?)

iPhone bashing :-)